Judge Blocks 9 Government Lawyers From Quitting Census Fight

The Justice Department can’t replace nine lawyers so late in the dispute over whether to add a citizenship question to the 2020 census without explaining why it’s doing so, a judge says.

U.S. District Judge Jesse M. Furman, who earlier this year ruled against adding the citizenship question, put the brakes on the government’s plan on Tuesday, a day after he was given a three-paragraph notification by the Justice Department along with a prediction that the replacement of lawyers wouldn’t “cause any disruption in this matter.”
 
“Defendants provide no reasons, let alone `satisfactory reasons,’ for the substitution of counsel,” Furman wrote, noting that the most immediate deadline for government lawyers to submit written arguments in the case is only three days away.
 
The judge said local rules for federal courts in New York City require that any attorney requesting to leave a case provide satisfactory reasons for withdrawing. The judge must then decide what impact a lawyer’s withdrawal will have on the timing of court proceedings.
 
He called the Justice Department’s request “patently deficient,” except for two lawyers who have left the department or the civil division which is handling the case.
 
President Donald Trump tweeted about the judge’s decision Tuesday night, questioning whether the attorney change denial was unprecedented.
 
“So now the Obama appointed judge on the Census case (Are you a Citizen of the United States?) won’t let the Justice Department use the lawyers that it wants to use. Could this be a first?” Trump tweeted.
 
The new team came about after a top Justice Department civil attorney who was leading the litigation effort told Attorney General William Barr that multiple people on the team preferred not to continue, Barr told The Associated Press on Monday.
 
The attorney who was leading the team, James Burnham, “indicated it was a logical breaking point since a new decision would be made and the issue going forward would hopefully be separate from the historical debates,” Barr said.
 
Furman’s refusal came in a case that has proceeded on an unusual legal path since numerous states and municipalities across the country challenged the government’s announcement early last year that it intended to add the citizenship question to the census for the first time since 1950.
 
Opponents of the question say it will depress participation by immigrants, lowering the population count in states that tend to vote Democratic and decreasing government funds to those areas because funding levels are based on population counts.
 
At one point, the Justice Department succeeded in getting the Supreme Court to block plans to depose Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross. Nearly two weeks ago, the Supreme Court temporarily blocked the plans to add the census question, saying the administration’s justification for adding the question “seems to have been contrived.”
 
Afterward, the Commerce Department’s Census Bureau began printing census questionnaires without the question and the Department of Justice signaled it would not attempt to continue the legal fight.
 
It reversed itself after Trump promised to keep trying to add the question.
 
The Justice Department then notified judges in three similar legal challenges that it planned to find a new legal path to adding the question to the census.
 
Furman said the urgency to resolve legal claims and the need for efficient judicial proceedings was an important consideration in rejecting a replacement of lawyers.
 
He said the Justice Department had insisted that the speedy resolution of lawsuits against adding the question was “a matter of great private and public importance.”
 
“If anything, that urgency — and the need for efficient judicial proceedings — has only grown since that time,” Furman said.
 
Furman said the government could re-submit its request to replace attorneys only with a sworn statement by each lawyer explaining satisfactory reasons to withdraw so late. He said he’ll require new attorneys to promise personnel changes will not slow the case.
       

your ad here



ГПУ вдруге надіслала в Офіс президента запит щодо Мендель

Слідчий Генеральної прокуратури України 9 липня направив повторний запит до Офісу президента щодо спростування чи підтвердження публічних висловлювань речниці Володимира Зеленського Юлії Мендель про те, що військовослужбовці ЗСУ допускають випадки обстрілів цивільних об’єктів на сході України.

Як йдеться в повідомленні ГПУ на сторінці у Facebook, повторний запит є реакцією на відповідь Офісу президента.

У відомстві нагадали, що раніше під час допиту Юлія Мендель «відмовилася надавати показання та вказати джерело оголошеної нею інформації».

6 липня Офіс президента України Володимира Зеленського повернув без розгляду раніше відправлений їм ГПУ запит щодо публічних висловлювань прес-секретаря глави держави Юлії Мендель.

Слідчі хотіли з’ясувати, що мала на увазі речниця Зеленського, коли заявила на телебаченні, що «українські військові, відповідаючи на провокації терористичних угруповань, здійснюють обстріли цивільних об’єктів». У ГПУ не виключили, що така інформація «вірогідно, буде подана російськими представниками до Офісу прокурора Міжнародного кримінального суду як доказ нібито порушення законів та звичаїв війни саме ЗСУ».

1 липня Мендель викликали на допит, але в його перебігу вона відмовилася надавати показання, заявили в ГПУ. Кримінальні провадження за заявами прес-секретаря президента не відкривали.

У Генштабі Збройних сил України неодноразово заявляли про цілковите дотримання українськими військовими на Донбасі Мінських угод, а також про позицію Об’єднаних сил щодо заборони відкривати вогонь у відповідь, якщо це може завдати шкоди мирним громадянам.

your ad here



Призначення Кучми, Богдана, Данилюка та Баканова підтримують понад 30% українців – опитування

Зроблені президентом України Володимиром Зеленським призначення Леоніда Кучми, Андрія Богдана, Олександра Данилюка та Івана Баканова підтримують понад 30% українців, свідчать дані опитування американського Центру дослідження Міжнародного республіканського інституту (IRI).

Призначення другого президента України Леоніда Кучми керівником української делегації в Тристоронній контактній групі в Мінську «твердо підтримують» 17% українців, «частково підтримують» 27%, «частково не підтримують» 10%, «твердо не підтримують» 23%, інші – або не чули його імені, або не змогли відповісти на питання.
Призначення ексадвоката бізнесмена Ігоря Коломойського Андрія Богдана керівником Офісу президента «твердо» або «частково підтримують» 36% українців, не підтримують 15%, інші – або не чули його імені, або не змогли відповісти на питання.
Призначення ексміністра фінансів Олександра Данилюка секретарем Ради національної безпеки та оборони підтримує 32% опитаних, проти виступають 18%.
Призначення колишнього керівника «95 кварталу» Івана Баканова на посаду першого заступника голови Служби безпеки України підтримують 32% українців, не підтримують 17%. Наразі він виконує обов’язки голови СБУ.

Відповідно до опитування IRI, діяльність нового президента України Володимира Зеленського «твердо підтримують» 32%, «частково підтримують» – 35%, «частково не підтримують» і «твердо не підтримують» – 8% та 6%. 19% не змогли відповісти на питання.

Опитування проводили з 13 до 23 червня шляхом інтерв’ю вдома у респондентів. Кількість опитаних склала 2 400. Похибка не перевищує 2%. Опитування фінансувалося Агентством США з міжнародного розвитку (USAID).

your ad here



Кількість песимістів стосовно напрямку руху України скоротилася вдвічі – американське дослідження

Кількість песимістів в Україні стосовно напрямку руху країни скоротилася майже вдвічі, свідчать дані опитування американського Центру дослідження Міжнародного республіканського інституту.

Якщо в грудні 2018 року 70% українців вважали напрямок руху України неправильним, то в червні 2019 року ця цифра знизилася до 39%.

Також зросла кількість українців, які вважають напрямок руху України правильним: із 16% до 34%. Ще 27% опитаних не змогли відповісти на питання.

Діяльність нового президента України Володимира Зеленського «твердо підтримують» 32%, «частково підтримують» – 35%, «частково не підтримують» і «твердо не підтримують» – 8% та 6%. 19% не змогли відповісти на питання.

Опитування проводили з 13 до 23 червня шляхом інтерв’ю вдома у респондентів. Кількість опитаних склала 2 400. Похибка не перевищує 2%. Опитування фінансувалося Агентством США з міжнародного розвитку (USAID).

your ad here



HRW закликає Зеленського захистити права пенсіонерів на Донбасі

Президент України має розглянути альтернативи, які дозволять мінімізувати необхідність перетину пенсіонерами лінії розмежування – правозахисники

your ad here



US Court Rules Trump Cannot Silence Critics on Twitter

A U.S. federal appeals court has ruled President Donald Trump cannot silence critics on his Twitter account, maintaining that blocking them violates the Constitution’s right to free speech.

The 2nd U.S. Court of Appeals in Manhattan ruled in a 3-0 decision Tuesday the First Amendment prohibits Trump from blocking critics from his account, a public platform.

On behalf of the three-judge panel, Circuit Judge Barrington Parker wrote “The First Amendment does not permit a public official who utilizes a social media account for all manner of official purposes to exclude persons from an otherwise-open online dialogue because they expressed views with which the official disagrees.”

Trump has used his Twitter account, which has more than 60-million followers, to promote his agenda and to attack critics.

The court ruled on a lawsuit filed by Columbia University’s Knight First Amendment Institute on behalf of seven people who were blocked by Trump after criticizing his policies.

Institute director Jameel Jaffer said the ruling “will ensure that people aren’t excluded from these forums simply because of their viewpoints” and added “It will help ensure the integrity and vitality of digital spaces that are increasingly important to our democracy.”

Justice Department spokesman Kelly Laco said the agency is “disappointed with the ruling and is “exploring possible next steps.” He reiterated the administrations’ argument that “Trump’s decision to block users from his personal Twitter account does not violate the First Amendment.”

The decision upheld a May 2018 ruling by the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York. The U.S. Justice Department said the ruling was “fundamentally misconceived,” arguing Trump used the account in a personal capacity to express his views, and not as a forum for public discussion.

Twitter did not immediately comment on the ruling.

Among those who were blocked from Trump’s account were author Stephen King and model Chrissy Teigen.

 

your ad here



Voting Group Founded by Georgia’s Abrams Raises $3.9 Million

The political action committee for a group founded by former Georgia Democratic gubernatorial candidate Stacey Abrams has reported raising $3.9 million in the past six months.

Abrams founded Fair Fight to support voting rights after narrowly losing to Republican Gov. Brian Kemp in November. She accused Kemp of using his previous position as Georgia’s chief election officer to suppress votes in their race, which Kemp has vehemently denied.

The report filed Monday with the state ethics commission shows Fair Fight PAC has raised $4.1 million since its inception and made $3 million in expenditures, leaving $1.1 million in cash on hand. Expenditures include more than $1.2 million given to the group’s nonprofit arm and $100,000 given to abortion rights groups after Georgia’s passage of a restrictive abortion ban.

They also include political contributions to various candidates, payments to consultants, staff salaries and travel expenses.

Many of the contributions came from small donors around the country. The group says that it has had more than 15,000 individual contributions from all 50 states.

The largest contribution was over $1 million from Silicon Valley-based physician and philanthropist Karla Jurvetson. The group banked another $250,000 from the Service Employees International Union, a labor union with 2 million members in service occupations including within the health care industry. 
 
“Fair Fight PAC is grateful for the overwhelming support we have received from across Georgia and around the country,” Fair Fight CEO Lauren Groh-Wargo said in a statement. “Fair Fight is advocating for voting rights, supporting progressive organizing and advocacy, and keeping the heat on those who suppress the vote.”

She said the group would soon share details for nationwide voter protection programs to mitigate “attempts to suppress the vote of people of color in this critical election cycle.”

your ad here



Plan by Sanders, Ocasio-Cortez To Declare Climate Emergency

Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders and New York Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez are teaming up on a plan that would designate climate change as an emergency, and at least one of Sanders’ fellow Democratic presidential candidates is planning to sign on.

The measure to be introduced in the House on Tuesday is designed to highlight Democrats’ focus on global warming and push back against President Donald Trump, who’s declared a national emergency at the U.S.-Mexico border.
 
Massachusetts Sen. Elizabeth Warren, who is competing with Sanders for the support of liberal voters in the presidential primary, plans to sign onto the resolution when it’s introduced in the Senate, according to a spokeswoman.

Sanders tells reporters that “strong American leadership” is needed to compel effective worldwide action on climate change.

 

your ad here